Ratan Tata Library
The Library of the Delhi School of Economics (DSE), better known as the Ratan Tata Library (RTL) was established in 1949. It is today a premier library in the country for Social Sciences.
In its formative years, the Delhi School of Economics Society received a benefaction of Rs. One Lakh from the Ratan Tata Trust for its Library. That is how the name Ratan Tata Library of Delhi School of Economics came to stay. Subsequently in 1980, the Ratan Tata Trust gave a grant of Rs. 2 Lakhs to meet partly the cost of adding an annexe to the Library building which was completed in 1986 at a cost of Rs. 6 Lakhs. The addition of the new block enabled the library to consolidate the holdings of periodicals.
After the library was established under the leadership of Prof, V.K.R.V. Rao, Prof. B.N. Ganguli was given the charge of expanding and maintaining the library. The Ratan Tata Library became a part of the University Library System in 1957, when the Delhi School of Economics ceased to be an autonomous institution and its management was taken over by the University of Delhi.
Considered one of the best-equipped libraries in Economics and allied fields in Asia, the Ratan Tata Library has a wide-ranging collection of literature on social sciences and business material, serving a rich resource pool for the students and faculty. The library also serves its purpose of helping in a cross-disciplinary approach to the subjects.